Prime Minister of Pakistan while addressing on the eve of world Population Day on 11th July, 2008 has renamed Male Mobilizers as Social Mobilizer (Male).
Like many developing countries, Pakistani society is male-dominated where men are the main decision makers, while women, especially in rural areas, are dependent on the decisions of male partners in all matters including family size and adoption of family planning. There is need to enlighten males towards responsible parenthood and family health. This can be addressed by enhancing their understanding and concern for mother and child health care. This provides context and relevance to the need for family planning. Keeping this proposal in view, a cadre of Male Village Based Workers was introduced for deployment at Union Council during the 9thFive Year Plan. This intervention retained and reinforced to cover all Union Councils, and during the 10th Plan period the cadre was re-named as Male Mobilizer. Two Social Mobilizer (Male/Female) at each Family Welfare Center level will be recruited. The selection criteria during the 11th Plan Period (2010-15) will be as under:
- Local resident of the Union Council.
- Age between 25-40 years with area specific relaxation after approval of the respective Secretary.
- Matric/ religious education equivalent to Matric i.e. Darja Sanwiah Aamah or others.
- Married, with 3 or less than 3 children with area specific relaxation after approval of the respective Secretary.
- Willing to install a signboard with logo of the programme and name of the department outside his residence in order to facilitate visibility, identification and contact by the programme officials and community.
- Willing to undertake training at places identified by the DPWO.
- Willing to hold group meetings at identified contact points.
The Male Mobilizer Cadre contributes in achieving the following objectives:-
- Increase the male acceptance of family planning and use of male contraceptive methods.
- Support social change and promote small family norm in the target Population.
- Help men to understand their family roles and responsibilities.
- Advocate gender for equity and equality of women & girl children.
- Strengthen the family as the social unit of society through the promotion of responsible fatherhood.
- Standard Operating Procedures
- The Social Mobilizers (Male) will be recruited on contract basis, with fixed stipend
- The performance of Male Mobilizers will be assessed after every two years and their contract will be renewed at an enhanced package accordingly.
- The Male Mobilizer’s office will be in his home and a signboard in local language depicting the logo of the Programme, name of department like “Population Welfare Department Sindh” will be displayed outside the house.
- Male Mobilizer will be placed at Union Council level. However, a Male Mobilizer will be placed on each ten thousand Population depending upon the geographical distribution of the population and terrain of the area. As such, there could be more then one Male Mobilizer in a Union Council, which will be decided by the respective PWDs/ District offices based upon the geographical area, population density etc.
- Male Mobilizer will identify contact points comprising religious leaders/ Imam Masjid, elected representatives, local influential/ social activists, satisfied clients, retired soldiers/ teachers, representatives of NGO/ civil society organizations etc. in the area of his operation. These contact points will help the Mobilizer to accomplish the group meeting. Depending upon the location and geographical situation, one group meeting should be held in a month with a budget of Rs.1000/- meeting.
- There should be system of concurrent validation of the performance of Male Mobilizers with the involvement of elected representatives/ religious leaders, village management committees, civil society organization like rural support programme, NGOs, soldier board, etc. From the above mentioned categories of people, a person will be identified for concurrent validation of group meeting, preferably some other person should verify the next meeting.
- Condoms and oral pills will be dispensed by the Male Mobilizers and the sale proceeds deposited in the TPW/DPWs offices accordingly. However, no targets as per policy of MoPW will be fixed for that.
- The venue of the meeting may be house of some influential, teachers, religious leaders, social activist, satisfied client or Male Mobilizer’s own house.
- Male Mobilizer with the help of TPW office should establish stalls during weekly bazaars and every festival in the area/ village.
The Male Mobilizers are provided 6-weeks basic training including practical training by the DPWOs. The training contents cover the following:-
(i) Population Welfare Programme;
(ii) Demography and population statistics;
(iii) Islam and Family Planning;
(iv) Communication and counseling skills;
(v) Reproductive physiology & contraceptive methods;
(vi) STIs / RTIs, HIV&AIDS and other RH issues;
(vii) Health education / minor ailments;
(viii) Record keeping, reporting and stock maintenance;
(ix) Community mobilization;
The training is imparted at District Office through Master Trainers from District Population Welfare Office. The Master Trainers are designated by the Population Welfare Departments. The Male Supervisors are also used as resource persons after their prior training. The 6 weeks training programme comprises an initial period of 4 weeks theoretical / classroom activity, complimented by 2 weeks of practical experience in the field.
The Male Mobilizers are focal point for the population welfare grass-root programme. They are responsible for interaction with community leaders, Nazims, Naib Nazims, male teachers, shopkeepers, community elders, traditional healers, religious leaders (Imam Masjid) and Community Based Organizations for advocacy and promoting the objectives and purposes of the programme.
Social Mobilizer (Female)
Prime Minister of Pakistan in his speech on occasion of world Population Day on 11th July, 2008 has directed that Female Social Mobilizers should be employed for each union council who will have direct access into the house hold for counseling and health. Uptill June, 2008 Sindh province has 1076 union councils, as such 1076 Social Mobilizer (Female) will be recruited in the Programme during plan period (2010-15). Sofar Social Mobilizer(Female) are not recruited.
On the pattern of Social Mobilizer (Male)/ Male Mobilizer these will be recruited on union council basis as given bellow:
- i) She will be local permanent resident of respective union council
- ii) She will be married between age 25-45 years.
iii) Academic qualification will be Matric or equivalent.
- iv) She will not be suffering from any major illness.
- a) She will undertake training of counseling and motivation at PWTI/ RTis.
- b) She will register all eligible couples in her union councils and maintained/updated record of eligible couples, acceptors and continuous users.
- c) Motivate and council clients for adoption and continuous of family planning methods.
- d) She will make aware household on reproductive health, MCH and general health.
- e) She will assist MSU/ FWC in arranging camps.
- f) She will work with Social Mobilizer (Male) for community and interpersonal communication activities for motivation to women.
- g) She will submit monthly performance report on prescribed format to DPWO through Tehsil/Town offices.